Friday, 23 August 2013

Switching From T3 To NDT

I've been a bit quiet the last few months, so here is what I've been up to so far.

T3 has been working great for me. I can find it in one of the local pharmacies very cheap. In the end I solld the Cytomel brand to someone else and I continued taking the local weaker brand. It was really working fine for me, no complaints there (except I had to remember to take it 3 times a day, but after a few weeks it became natural to just glance at the clock at the right time and take the pills).

What was worrying me though was that it's only T3 and not the whole spectrum of thyroid hormones that the thyroid gland produces. That's why I actually went on and bought 2 year's supply of NDT (brand Thiroyd) from a trusted source. The natural dessicated thyroid gives exactly what our own thyroid makes, namely T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. While T3 alone is already way better than T4, NDT is what we really need.

Hence the last couple of weeks I started on switching from T3 only to NDT. Basically this is how I do it.

I used to take 3/4 of a pill of T3 (18.75 mcg) in the morning at around 8 am. Then half a pill (12.5 mcg) around 1 pm and another half pill at about 6.30 pm.

To safely switch from T3 to NDT I need to replace T3 with NDT very slowly and only one dose at a time. I tried to start with the morning dose but I really felt bad that day. I guess it was because the NDT will build up the reserve of T4 in the body, but it needs weeks for it to happen. By removing a bit of my T3 and replacing with a bit of NDT, I literally got less T3 for that morning than usual, and that really screwed with my system.

So the next day I started with my evening dose. I would drop 6.25 mcg of T3 (a quarter of a pill) and introduce 30 mg of NDT. Do this for a week, after which drop the 6.25 mcg I was still taking, so now I would only be taking the half pill of NDT.

After about a week I started to work on my lunch dose, the same way as the evening dose. However I felt a bit hypo (I guess I still didn't have enough T4 in my body to convert to T3 on its own), so I actually went with half a pill NDT and also reintroduced the half pill T3 as well.

Now it's yet another week and at this time I could drop the 6.25 mcg for the lunch time dose and, so now I'm only taking half a pill NDT and quarter a pill T3 as I should have done last week, but couldn't. So far now it seems to work fine.

The next week I'll drop the bit of T3 from my lunch dose and the only T3 I'll be taking will be the morning dose.

Right now I'm feeling pretty good. No problems with bowel movements (I do take the magnesium pills every night), the hair stopped pretty much from falling (only a few strands when I wash my hair, it's highly bearable), however I still have dry skin on my heels and feet, so that's something I have to work on. But otherwise I can't compare myself to how I was feeling say last year about this time, sickly all the time.

In the meantime I've also started my journey on detoxing various dangerous chemicals from my body (bromide, fluoride and all that) and started a iodine protocol that I'll be talking about in a next post.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog, and it looks really interesting. I notice that the last post is from 2013, how have you been doing in this 3 years and something?